Try this gorgeous fireworks of reds, oranges, and yellows on your tongue, and see what your tastebuds have to say about it!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3/4 c. quinoa, uncooked
- 2 c. vegetable broth, divided
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet potato, baked, peeled and diced small
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. fresh oregano
- 1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt to taste
- 4 medium-large red bell peppers, seeded and with stems removed but otherwise intact
Preheat oven to 400F. Bake sweet potato 1 hr until soft, and set aside to cool. Best to do this in advance. Once cool, peel and dice small with a sharp knife.
Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and jalapeño pepper. Saute approximately 5 minutes until onion turns translucent. Place in large bowl.
In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 c. vegetable broth to boil. Then rinse quinoa in cold water in mesh strainer, add to broth, and return to boil. Cover saucepan, reduce heat to low, simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Stir into onion mixture.
Add black beans, tomatoes, remaining (1/2 c.) vegetable broth, herbs and spices, salt and pepper. Stir well. Gently fold in sweet potato.
Stuff peppers with quinoa mixture, divided evenly, and arrange vertically in a bread pan. Cover lightly with foil and bake 25-30 min. until peppers are tender. Serves 4 generously.
Original recipe from Monique at AmbitiousKitchen. Thanks, Monique!