Take all your favorite fall flavors, and mix them up in a big beautiful bowl! This is a wonderful dish for company, but the leftovers (if there are any) the next day are even better.
- 1 3/4 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 c. canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 small hard apple (Granny Smith and Honeycrisp are nice), diced small
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. organic golden raisins
- 1/2 c. walnuts, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 c. almonds, chopped coarsely
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 + 2 Tbsp. olive oil (separated)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 c. cooked chickpeas (canned is fine)
In a frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil until shimmering, and add chickpeas. Fry, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are warm and mostly dry. Remove from pan and set aside.
Mix together the pumpkin, maple syrup, cider vinegar and pepper. Warm in microwave, mix again, and pour into a large bowl containing the rice. Mix together lightly.
Add raisins, apple, onion, walnuts, remaining olive oil and salt, and stir gently until combined.
Top with chickpeas and almonds, sprinkle with parsley, and serve. Serves 6-8.
Thank you, Happy.Healthy.Life, for the original version of this recipe. Yum.