You may find that, except for the kale, you are lucky enough to have all these ingredients in your home already! If that’s the case, then run over to the store and get some kale so you can make this soup! And consider using this recipe as a guide for some ideas for good things to keep in your cupboard (and freezer) at all times. Thank you to Gluten Free Vegan for the original version of this gem of a recipe.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 19-oz. can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large bunch kale with stems removed, chopped finely
- 1/2 lb. green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup raw brown rice (or millet, if you are feeling adventurous)
- 2 fragrant bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- sweet paprika
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Saute onion and garlic approx. 5 minutes until onion starts to soften. Add tomatoes, stock, beans, kale and brown rice (or millet). Combine, add seasonings, cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remember to remove the bay leaves prior to serving. Sprinkle each bowl with a dusting of paprika. Serve with a thick slice of whole-grain bread and a simple green salad. Serves 8.