I love my slow cooker. I even have a bumper sticker that says so.
This is something really terrific — it takes 5 minutes to get ready, all day to cook and fill the house with heavenly smells, and no time at all to bring to the table for a satisfying and wonderful meal. Thank you to Clean Eating Chelsey for her version of Magic Bean Soup. As opposed to this one, from me and Michael Ruhlman.
- 2 cans Mexican-style diced tomatoes
- 1 can regular diced tomatoes + 1 full can water
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans kidney (red) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Great Northern (white) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 5-6 red potatoes, diced 3/4-inch
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker, set to low, and go to work. If your mornings are exceedingly busy, the best strategy may be to put it all together the night before, leave it in the refrigerator all night, and then pop it into the base and turn it on before you leave in the morning. Do not forget to do this last step! Plan on taking leftovers to work the next day.