Here’s something special to make with a group of friends on a weekend evening. Give everyone an assignment, along with a glass of wine, and it will all come together in no time!
- 1 lb. whole-grain pasta of any kind [we love brown-rice fettucini in our house!]
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, diced medium-small
- 2 small zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 3 cups white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper (seeds and ribs removed), chopped finely
- 1/4 c. Italian parsley, chopped coarsely
- 1 Tbsp. capers (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. pepper
Cook pasta, drain, and toss with 2 Tbsp. of oil. Set aside.
Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant, cover and cook 5-7 minutes until softening. Add zucchini, jalapeño and mushrooms, and cook for 5 more minutes until vegetables are barely cooked and zucchini is still bright green. Stir in tomatoes, capers and parsley. Remove from heat and transfer to large serving bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining olive oil with vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in small bowl. Stir into vegetables and let rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Add pasta to vegetables, stir, and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serves 4-6.
Thank you to Robin Robertson and One Dish Vegetarian Meals for a prior version of this recipe.