In honor of the upcoming marriage of HLJ to ESS:
Here’s a magnificent recipe, inspired by the fact that this year is the #Year of the #Pulse! You know how much I love beans and the flavors developed by slow cooking! Try putting it up right now, and you’ll have a very special, delicious and nutritious meal for dinner tonight. Of course, if you’re me, you might decide to make it tonight instead of in the morning, so it will be ready just in time for breakfast tomorrow.
Whenever food cooks in our slow cooker through the night, it gives me delicious dreams. Sometimes it even wakes me up, a few times for a few moments, to savor the smells. Then, when morning comes, I can barely get myself up and dressed fast enough in my hurry to get downstairs to eat my yummy breakfast from the crockpot! I’m not kidding — consider yourself forewarned.
- 1 cup dry, white navy beans
- 8 chicken thighs (bone-in)
- 8 chicken legs (bone-in)
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 2 cups tomato juice, spicy
- 1 large can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, sliced in half (add the juices, do not discard)
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced thinly (1/4 inch)
- 1 cup carrot, sliced thickly (1 inch)
- 2 medium-large onions, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, fresh
- Arrange the chicken legs and thighs in the bottom of a large 6-quart slow cooker. Add the beans, tomatoes and tomato juices, celery, carrots, onion, herbs and spices.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours (or on high for 6-8 hours). Garnish with parsley if desired just prior to serving. Makes 10-12 servings.