A kale celebration for kale lovers everywhere (!). If you don’t happen to have any kale right now, you can still make this salad with any other greens growing in your garden or sitting in your fridge. Radicchio is a good addition, too. Do I post a lot of recipes for kale? Maybe. But I know hardly anyone who eats enough green, leafy vegetables. What’s the deal with green leaves? They’re basically a nutrition powerhouse, with loads of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber, you name it. Exactly like taking a multivitamin. But without the constipation.
- 1 head of kale
- 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded, and diced)
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups (1 can) chickpeas, rinsed well and patted dry
- 2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds (shelled) for garnish
- 1 /2 cup tahini
- 3 /4 cup water
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove (med-large), minced
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the veggies and beans, and toss into a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, adding a bit of water drop by drop (one teaspoon at a time) if necessary. Remember the water in the veggies will thin the dressing further.
3. Pour the dressing into the vegetables, mix gently, and serve immediately. Garnish with sunflower seeds.
A prior version of this recipe comes (with many thanks) from Angela at vegangela.com.