From time to time I post a dessert recipe, but it’s usually something tame, like apple slices. Just kidding. But seriously, I don’t post a lot of dessert recipes.
This recipe, on the other hand, breaks the mold. It is, by far, the most decadent thing I’ve ever posted on YHIOYP. Even if you never make it yourself, you have to appreciate the talent and passion of a woman who figured out how to make a cake like this. I thought it would be the perfect thing for anyone who is inspired to make something spectacular for the holidays.
coconut oil for greasing pans
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup 100% unsweetened cacao powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Dark Chocolate Fudge Frosting (see recipe below)
1 cup Vegan Caramel (see recipe below)
Dark Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
4 oz. 100% cacao unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped roughly
1/4 cup coconut oil (solid)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup almond milk or coconut milk (full-fat)
1/2 cup almond or cashew butter (or puree)
1/2 cup maple syrup
4 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
2 fresh dates, pitted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
a generous pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two 6-inch cake pans or one 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper rounds, and grease sides of pans with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, cacao powder, salt, and baking soda. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs with maple syrup and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, a little at a time, stirring until a batter forms.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake about 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Invert cakes onto racks and allow to cool completely.
- Remove one layer to a cake plate and top with 1⁄2 cup fudge frosting, smoothing evenly over entire surface of cake. Drizzle with half (1⁄2 cup) the caramel. Cover with second cake layer and top with remaining 1/2 cup frosting. Drizzle remaining caramel over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Refrigerate 1 hour prior to serving.
- Dark Chocolate Fudge Frosting: In a small, heavy saucepan, melt the baking chocolate and coconut oil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat, and slowly add maple syrup, stirring to incorporate. Allow to cool completely. Transfer chocolate mixture to a medium bowl and use an electric mixer to beat in almond butter until a thick frosting forms. Add almond milk and stir with a spatula until smooth. For a creamy, almost pourable frosting, use immediately. For a thicker, fluffy frosting, refrigerate overnight (at least 8 hours), then return to room temperature and beat with an electric mixer until spreadable. Will keep refrigerated in a sealed container up to 2 weeks.
- Vegan Caramel: Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer caramel to a glass jar and refrigerate to chill. The caramel will stiffen up in the refrigerator, so if your recipe requires it to be spreadable, let it sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes and stir well before using. Will keep refrigerated for up to 1 month. [For a thinner sauce to drizzle on a dessert, add 2 more tablespoons of maple syrup. For a denser texture, add 2 more pitted dates. To increase spreadability on cake layers, add 2 tablespoons almond (or cashew) butter.
Prep time: 9 hrs Cook time: 1 hr