If you’ve been looking for a way to branch out and eat more different vegetables, this is it. Every color in your diet represents a different phytonutrient, and every phytonutrient is like a building block for your good health. That’s why it’s important to eat the rainbow, to maximize the number of different colors on your plate, to spread your bets. If you have been feeling like you could use a little more on the red side of the spectrum, make this.
It takes just a few minutes to whip up this Red Pepper Bisque and IT IS GOOD. The original version comes from Food Babe, who has been generating terrific buzz on the subject of cleaning up our food supply and putting pressure on BIG COMMODITY FOOD to do the same. She has got it all figured out, and she’s on your side.
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded & chopped
- 1 carrot, washed well & chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews (or sunflower seeds)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (without yeast extract) or water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until perfectly smooth.
- Taste, and season with a little bit more salt if desired. Then blend again.
- When you’re ready, divide the soup among two bowls, and top with red pepper flakes and sliced avocado. Serve either at room temperature or icy cold. Bon appetit!