Perfect winter food….
- 1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 tart apples (like Gala or Fuji), thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Saute onion in olive oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to color, 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in sauerkraut, apples, and wine. Cover pot and reduce heat. Simmer about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until apples are disintegrating and sauerkraut is very tender.
- Stir in molasses and black pepper, with more pepper to taste.
Eat it straight, or try it with turkey sausage, cubes of sautéed tempeh, or slices of tofu.
A prior, non-vegan version of this recipe may be found at epicurious.com